Pages

1.20.2010

Some advice needed...

So I am wondering if anyone has input on the following 2 very different topics-

1. To keep or not to keep the wedding dress.

David brought up the idea again of me selling my dress. I just don't know.
Here are some thoughts/pro's/con's/questions:
  • It is still available at the place I got the dress at for the same price.
  • If I am going to sell it, I need to do it now...not in 15 years when no one will want it.
  • How much would you sell it for?
  • I think it would be fun to keep around for my future kids/grand kids to see. With that said...as much as I think they would love it...it is going to be out of style and I just question how much they would even appreciate it.
  • David said I could keep all the money if I sell it. I think I would get some sort of pretty piece of jewelry from my fav...T&C that I could keep and pass down to a child one day.
  • Ahh...it's my wedding dress and I love it! It was the first dress I tried on. I did not have to do anything to it...it fit me perfectly. This picture is from when I first tried it on.
  • I wore it twice....and I let someone borrow it a couple years ago.
  • It makes me want to cry/throw up sometimes when think about it selling it.
  • Its been sitting in the closet for the last 3 1/2 years except for when it was borrowed.
On a totally different subject...

2. Mail....it's everywhere!

I feel like I have not yet found a great way to sort/store my mail. I have tried a couple things...but it ends up in piles on/under what we call the "mail table". So what works for you? The mail usually consists of the following.
  • House Bills
  • Ashley's Bills
  • David's paperwork/school stuff
  • Alamo Business Park Bills
  • Alamo Business Park Paperwork
  • Magazines and newspapers. David traded in his expiring delta miles for like 8 magazines and newspapers that come weekly.
So....if you have any thoughts on the above... please share!!!

Oh...P.S
I love this show. It makes me smile.


14 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you brought up these two issues! Both have been troubling me for a while too.

    As for the mail... I can't help you there sista, except to say that important stuff needs a separate pile--but you knew that already.

    As for the wedding dress, I say sell. The only thing is, would you try to sell it in Texas or Utah? I've thought about paying Julie to sell mine in Utah, but I'm not sure how I would even get it there. That said, I can also identify with your reluctance. I still say sell though, but that because I'm callas. ;) The both of us should just do it!
    PS I love the red sash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dress is still sitting in my closet and I've had the same dilema. Just can't seem to part with it! I like the idea of selling to buy some jewelry though. I will have to think about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rented my dress, but my friend was talking about the same dilema a couple months back and she came across a really cool idea. The premise of it is that a woman only gets to wear her wedding dress once really, and before the Big Day, one does what ever we can to keep that dress from getting ruined.... but what happened after the big day? The beautiful dress stays in a box hoping that someday it'll get worn by a daughter or granddaughter, but until then it just sits there....

    Well I discovered what some photographers are calling "Trash the Dress". Its where after the big day, you do a photoshoot in your beautiful wedding dress, doing things you never would have done before the big day... like standing the middle of a lake, or on a trampoline. At first thought my reaction was... um... NO! but as I saw the beautiful pictures that come out of it, I've been trying to see if its worth it... Here are some pictures of some people who have done it: http://www.dterryphotography.com/gallery/5228375_a4Mc5#317580679_QCNfG


    As for the bills, I have a cork board in our office and I post all of our bills that have upcoming due dates in order on it. Then when I pay them I file them in our portable plastic filing cabinet I have. And Jeano gets magazines in the mail too, I have a modern style magazine rack next to my couch that they go in. When he has read them and doesn't want them, I put them in our recycle. And I only use the word modern because when I think of magazine rack I think of something my grandparents had that is outdated...ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sentimental so I would say keep the dress! I figure, if I ever have a daughter and she does not want to wear my dress than she can always take the material and have her own dress made from mine. Or I have friends that have made their daughters blessing dresses from their dress. So it up to you! The idea of selling my dress would make me so sad. If you sell it than there is no way of getting it back if you change your mind. You can always rent it out in the mean time...Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No matter what you do with the dress I think you'll be happy with the decision. My friend also did the trash the dress photo shoot and the pictures turned out awesome. Reusing it it's a terrible idea...I know people who've made blessing gowns or even made photo mats to frame wedding pics. If you sell it and get something memorable I think the piece of jewelry etc. will make you feel sentimental and you'll be happy with it. Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking of selling my dress.... I just can't bring myself to sell it tho. I love it too much and the money I could get out of it wont be worth it to me.
    On the topic of mail...
    Ask my mom. When she came into town and saw my HUGE pile of mail she helped me organize it and I never get mail piles anymore due to the system she set in place for me. It's so easy and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to also say that I REALLY like the idea of buying something sentimental in place of the wedding dress; I think even a simple piece of jewelry will get more mileage even after many years. I could never cut up a wedding dress. I'd rather see someone else wearing it. I'm also not so sure about the trash-the-dress pics. I really like the idea for the bridesmaid dresses, but a little too uncanny for a bride.

    I'll be checking in with Anne about the mail sorting solutions, but for now, I really like the cork board idea. Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm keeping my dress forever. I don't have an "either or" type attitude though...I mean if I want a nice piece of jewelry, eventually I will own it in due time. The dress is there for me to wear to Lily's wedding...haha wouldn't that be funny though? I have always thought about wearing my dress to weddings. It would be fun for me, not necessarily anyone else.

    Joking aside I do think my kids would love to see it when they are older. I liked looking at my mom's. I just don't think you could get out of it even close to what you put in. How much did you pay for your dress?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have no idea on the dress...but as for your mail-try using a organizer that is used to hold file folders...its worked pretty well for me. Each slot is for a different type of mail...plus it takes care of the magazies that are comin in like crzy in such a neat way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great question...I've never really thought about selling my dress. I don't know why--I really am not a sentimental type of person. I ended up with three boys and no girls so I definitely won't have a daughter to wear it...maybe I should sell mine too! =) As for mail...my only advice is to trash the junk before it even makes it to the counter...that will help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ryan always tries to tell me to sell the dress, first because its in a HUGE box and takes up space, and second because he says I won't wear it again so why keep it? To prove him wrong last year I put it on while hanging out at my house (yeah I'm a dork!). I have used it a couple times for YW lessons/activities, which was fun because there aren't 1000 bridal shops here with modest dresses and the girls liked looking at the dresses.
    So, basically I can't help you because I can't decide what to do with it!
    As far as the mail situation-junk goes into the recycle bin ASAP otherwise it just stacks up and makes a mess .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I say keep it! I would LOVE to see my moms wedding dress just for fun. And when I look at mine in my closet it makes me smile because, for that one second I remember that I used to have a waiste line. Ahhh, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd sell the dress. My mom kept hers, but we ended up just getting rid of it when she died.

    I don't know if this is part of your mail problem, but I use a website called Catalog Choice to get rid of excess catalogs and other junk that was arriving at our house. It also works for getting rid of catalogs that come in former tenants' names.

    ReplyDelete
  14. NEVER SELL YOUR WEDDING DRESS!! Even if future daughters don't wear it, it can still be a family heirloom!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List