My sweet grandmother...Grammy...passed away 7 years ago tomorrow...the 17th... of a pulmonary embolism after her knee replacement surgery. I don't remember it being so close to Easter. I do know it was right before prom and mine and my cousin Mary's high school graduation. I had just left school that day when my mom called me and told me. She asked me to go pick up my little brother Stephen from his middle school. He didn't know why he was getting out early and I remember how easily his happy face turned into tears as I told him. We just hugged as he cried and cried. When we got home my sister Stacey called our house. I asked if she knew about Grammy but she said no. When I told her I remember her saying something like "that's not funny", but she finally believed me. At that time, I think that was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do...to tell my brother and sister that Grammy was gone.

Even though all the cousins don't get to see each other as often as we would like, I truly feel we all love each other so much because if her. Here are some pictures of just some of us. {I don't have many pictures here in Texas} I feel blessed to have had her as my grandmother. I have so many memories of her! As far back as I can remember, she would take the cousins who were old enough to decorate the Rose Parade floats. We were there every day decorating them, and then we would stay over night at the Rose Parade. She also took my sister Laura, my cousin Mary and me on many trips around the US in the summers. Who knew that those three girls who fought so much would grow up to love each other and be such good friends! I'm sure she did!
I will always miss her. Especially right now.


Even though all the cousins don't get to see each other as often as we would like, I truly feel we all love each other so much because if her. Here are some pictures of just some of us. {I don't have many pictures here in Texas} I feel blessed to have had her as my grandmother. I have so many memories of her! As far back as I can remember, she would take the cousins who were old enough to decorate the Rose Parade floats. We were there every day decorating them, and then we would stay over night at the Rose Parade. She also took my sister Laura, my cousin Mary and me on many trips around the US in the summers. Who knew that those three girls who fought so much would grow up to love each other and be such good friends! I'm sure she did!
I will always miss her. Especially right now.

I found this gum today at lunch {Cracker Barrel} and it made me think of her. She always had some in her purse. So I bought a pack.

What a special tribute. I have been thinking all week about the anniversary of her death. It was really close to Easter. Do you remember we went out to Dale's and she had made the annual bunny cake for Jenny's birthday? I am going to try and post some pictures tomorrow. Thanks for sharing the wonderful memories. I know she's not far away!
ReplyDeleteThis is weird.....I knew what your post was going to be about before I even looked! I was thinking about doing a similar post today. I don't have a scanner though, and probably have way fewer pics than you! Thanks. I too have had Grammy on my mind a lot lately. I am so grateful she let me get to know you and the other cousins better! Love you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tribute to Grammy! I had remembered earlier in the week but, didn't realize it was today. I was remembering this week that when you told me I was upset but, after that I think I was the strong one and held it together while we planned the funeral. I spent several weeks with Poppa afterwards trying to help him go through stuff and donate her clothes. I guess I really believe she is on the otherside helping all of us out as our Angel. I'm glad she had such a wonderful life and that she didn't suffer when she passed. She has touched many people and we all miss her here with us but, I know she is with us in spirit all the time!
ReplyDeleteThat was really nice Ash!!! I am on my Moms blog! It is hard to think of all the things that have happend since she has been gone! I miss her too! I am glad that McKayla remembers her! It was hard losing both my Grandma's in less that 18 months! I think that we were all so shocked but we were all there for each other,it was nice that the ones who wanted had a part in her funeral!I know she is with us always! I hope we can all stay close and treat eachother in a way that she would be proud of!
ReplyDeleteLove Keri Beth
I LOVE that gum, but where the heck can you find it now? I also like the one called blackjack or something. My Gma always had those in her purse too. Gmas are great! This made me think of how much I love my Gmas. What are Your and David's plans tomorrow? You two should come over for dinner and hang out. Call me if you can... or if tomorrow won't work come Sunday for dinner or somefing!!
ReplyDeleteAshley...Thank you so much for the beautiful tribute to Grammy. I cried at work today when I realized what day it was. There are so many days when I would give anything to hug my mom... one more time, tell her I love her..one more time, and tell her thankyou for giving me my life...for without giving me life I would never have my wonderful children and grandchilren. I love you Ashley...Mom
ReplyDeleteI love that you call her Grammy. What a special lady she must have been.
ReplyDeleteRemember how I started talking to you for about 4 seconds then got cut off? well, shoot. that is sad. b/c i like you a lot.
let's talk again, in person, soon. :) lots of love to you!